Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Blog Commenting ... Soap Box!

I just don't understand why bloggers set up their comments so it takes "an act of Congress" for people to leave a comment on their post.

Source

Just this morning, I left two blogs without commenting because of 1) having to log-in through Wordpress. I don't have a Wordpress account and I don't want one. The option was to log-in through Facebook or Twitter. Nope. I want to leave a comment with my blog url, name and email addy. So, you won't get a comment from me. Thank.you.very.much.  2)Security words/numbers. I am so sorry to those of you that use this method. I just have an awful time reading those scrambled up letters most times and hate having to "get new words" over and over again in order to be able to type in the right ones. I do follow through with the security words most of the time, but if I can't get them correct after a couple of tries, I move on.

Others have it set where you have to log-in with your Blogger/Google log-in. This is not as big of an issue, but what if a person wants to comment and isn't on Blogger or Google(or the other options under "Open ID")? Yep, ya lost another comment and possible return reader.

My friend, Michelle Shaeffer, wrote a wonderful post about commenting on blogs.

Top Ten Reasons I Haven't Commented on Your Blog (yet)

Look at her number 10 reason. There's my point for this post.

Here's another post Michelle wrote, even better!

Free Your Comments!

I have known Michelle for 10 years. She knows her blogging stuff. Yes, Michelle focuses on Wordpress based blogging, but Blogger is so user friendly, everything she advises can be appllied to Blogger.

Here is a screen print showing how you can "Free Your Comments" on Blogger. I have mine set "wide open" with moderation set for comments left on posts over 14 days old.  I have no major issues with *trash* comments getting through. If one does, I simply delete it marking it as spam.

Take Michelle's advise. Free Your Comments!

3 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more, and thanks for sharing Michelle's blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh this is helpful, Amy! I've had people ask me how to make it easier to comment on Blogger but since I don't use the system I wasn't much help. Now I can send 'em over to your post. :)

    And thank you for the links. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, I say YES! Your picture was hysterical :) I do love getting comments, so why not make it easy for the ladies. I was telling my hubby that I try to leave comments on the Blogs I read at least once a week. Does anybody want to play with me is my thought when the comment part is empty. Oh well!
    Loved your post Blog on! Go Blogger!
    Blessings, Roxy

    ReplyDelete