Monday, November 14, 2011

How to roast a turkey

Pin It

I have this post on my recipe blog, Recipe Roundup, but want to share it here, as well. Be sure to head on over to Recipe Roundup and follow me there, too. Lots of yummy recipes!

Roasting turkey is pretty much easy peasy and fail proof, but hey…I’ll share anyway. This is how my father taught me to roast a turkey.


Follow package directions for preparing bird for cooking. I do not stuff my turkey.

Once you have your bird in the pan, rub it down with butter (or margarine, but butter is my friend) all over. Put about 1/2 stick of butter inside the cavity.

I use poultry seasoning, since it has all of the wonderful seasonings already mixed together. Put a tablespoon or so into the cavity and rub some(or sprinkle from the bottle) all over the outside of the bird. Do the same thing with garlic salt. I use the California Blend garlic salt in my kitchen.

Cut a small onion into quarters and put as much of that onion into the cavity as you can fit.

Put the bird in the oven.

Using 1/2 stick of butter (yep, more butter), every 30 minutes, rub butter all over the outside of the bird. If you run out of that butter before the bird is done, that’s ok, get more out to use.

Once the skin has started browning, cover the bird loosely with foil.

Use the cooking time guide on the package, or look here for basic information.

About 30 minutes before the bird is due to be done and taken out of the oven, remove foil to allow bird to finish browning.

That’s it! That’s the spices and goodies I use to make a succulent, juicy turkey.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Amy,
    I just found your blog and love it! This recipe looks delicious. I might have to try this next week. :) I'm your newest follower, and would love for you to stop by and visit me. :)
    Blessings,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. This year out son is going to fry the turkey....which works out great for me...one less thing for me to do!

    Linda
    http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
    http://deltacountyhistoricalsociety.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete