Monday, April 30, 2012

Come and see...

My almost garden!


Since it is not quite time, here in the Texas panhandle, to put the garden in, all of the plants I have bought so far are in pots. Not to mention, I haven't even gotten my raised beds ready yet. I used "Mel's Mix" in my pots, as that is what I will use in my raised beds. Mel's Mix is the growing medium used/created by Mel Bartholomew, writer of Square Foot Gardening. This is the method I am using to garden this year.


At harvest time, with just the plants above, we will have 7 types of fresh heirloom tomatoes, tomatillos, rhubarb, POPCORN!, 4 types of peppers, spaghetti squash and patty-pan squash. All of that is in the pots in the photos. This week, I plan to add pickling and slicing cucumbers, zucchini, yellow squash, butternut squash, watermelon, okra, cantaloupe and pumpkin...in plants.

Once the garden is in, late in May (yikes, 6 years here and I STILL cannot get used to the last frost date of Mother's Day) I will be planting seeds for lima beans, green beans, green peas, purple hull peas, black-eye peas, pinto beans, black beans, red beans, radishes, carrots, corn, mustard greens, turnip greens, collard greens and gourds. WHEW! I am so excited for harvest time already!

For the first time ever, I have an herb garden, too!


Top shelf to bottom, left to right: basil, chives, sage, thyme. cilantro, lavender, spearmint, parsley, lemon verbena, rosemary and chamomile.

I still would like to get some calendula.

That old set of stairs was here when we moved here and it is a fantastic plant stand. I bought some white spray paint this weekend and will get it painted this week.

I used marigolds for natural insect repellant.


I put one marigold plant in 3 pepper plant pots and 1 tomato pot. Hopefully it will work. I will have the marigolds interspersed within the raised beds, too.

It is a cool, mostly overcast day here today. It is also supposed to storm this afternoon/evening. I thank God for the rain...but really wanted to work outside today. That means it is indoor work for me today.


Have a wonderful Monday!

6 comments:

  1. I love your "garden." I found you through the Homesteader Blog Carnival and I think I am your newest follower. It would be very hard for me to get used to the late plating date as well. I am on the Florida panhandle and our last frost date is in February. Thanks for posting and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your garden. I have a late frost date too. The nurserymen tell me never to plant into the soil before Mother's Day. I don't listen and usually pay for it, but now I have plastic hoop row covers. I hope my garden gets a head start this year. Your container herb garden looks fabulous too. I love the stair steps. It's perfect. Thank you for sharing.

    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the stair shelf for your herb garden! I did something similar for mine...the same pots (lol) stair stepped in an old wicker bench. I love that herbs can be in containers! Would you mind sharing this post on my Link-up too? I think my readers would enjoy seeing how you used the pots to get started!
    ( http://www.likeamustardseed.com/2012/05/01/learning-herbs-rosemary-and-a-new-tuesday-link-up/ )

    ReplyDelete
  4. you have a great start!!! looks fabulous...good luck and have fun!!!
    We have to wait until the end of May to plant...too many frost possibilities...but my herbs look great...they are more hardy.
    I am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.
    happy gardening!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your garden is so adorable! I just started putting mine together. Your information is helpful to me. Thank you for sharing it at WJIM.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Amy, just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
    http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete